Monday, January 6, 2014

Period 2: Mock Trial, Day 1 - Class Recap

This was how I greeted the dawn of 2014 - on a flight from San Antonio to Phoenix after the Alamo Bowl!

Dear class,

It is so good to be back! I missed everyone and coming to school - I'm not joking! Even though I am quite bleary eyed at the moment and have a lot of work ahead of me, it was wonderful to see you all! On to the recap.

Soundtrack: “Back in Black” by AC/DC. Selected because it was back to being really dark outside when I woke up this morning, as opposed to during break, when I think most of us started the day with light outside! Lyrics here.

AGENDA 1/6/14:
Status Update
Tort Reports
The Trial Process
Mock Trial Prep

Homework: Read the blog! Finish all late/missing.make up work - due by Wednesday! Prep for Mock Trial! Next tort reports assigned to: on board.
---
Status Update: To begin class, I went around the room and just asked if there was anything interesting or fun students did over Winter Break. It was totally okay if you had nothing to report - I realize that not all breaks are interesting or fun! I enjoyed checking in with everyone - thanks!

As part of my status update, I reported that I will be at Westview full time next semester, after I get back from my upcoming trip (SO exciting - you have no idea!). I also went to San Antonio for the Oregon Ducks football game, kind of on the spur of the moment, which was great.

The plan for the rest of the semester looks like this: I will be leaving the country this coming Sunday. You have three regular B days after that - two next week and one finals week. You also have a finals period, so there will be four total classes with a substitute (still to be determined). Again, had I known that 1) Ms. Youngblood would be extending her leave past November, and/or 2) I would be working full time next semester, there is almost no chance I would be leaving. But life has a funny way of working out sometimes, so I appreciate your willingness to work with me on this!

For students, this means that although your mock trials and grades for that will be done by another teacher, I will submit final grades, while I am in Australia. I just feel uncomfortable with someone else making those final grade decisions, after working with you for the entire school year so far. The mock trial grade will be worth a lot - probably about as much as a test or more so. It should be a good way to end out the year!

Tort Reports: Patrick brought in this article: Independent.co.uk: GTA 5: Lindsay Lohan sues Rockstar over image theft. I subsequently used this case for a lot of references during my introduction of the trial process!

The Trial Process: To start with the introduction of the mock trial, I put together a presentation with the basic elements of how a trial works. I did not ask students to take notes, but I do want everyone to know the basics here:


Much of this should be information you have already seen elsewhere, but it is a good refresher.

Mock Trial Prep: After the presentation, I passed out a pretty hefty packet of mock trial materials. The (fake) case we will be going through is Parker v. Paradise County School District - the case of the explosive homework! Here is the full pdf (I only gave out pages 10-29): ClassroomLaw.org - 2004-5 Oregon Mock Trial Competition.

It was your job to listen as I read the stipulated facts and witness statements and take good notes in the packet about what might be the most important aspects of this case. You will eventually be turning these notes in as a part of the final assessment. Please also be reviewing the case so that you might know which role you want to play for the actual mock trial!

Remember, please have all missing/late/make up work into me by Wednesday! Let me know how I can help. Thank you so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment