Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Period 2, Negligence, Day 2 - Class Recap

The view from the top of Diamond Head, Oahu, Hawaii, in 2011. To get to this stunning vista point, you have to climb up a very steep set of stairs and tunnels - one with all sorts of warning signs. I think one of the reasons that the signs are there is that the park service is hoping they will not be liable for any damages as a result of neglecting to warn visitors.

Hi everyone,

We are SO close to being done with book work! I think just a little more time next class, then we will go over Chapter 21 answers and a Strict Liability PowerPoint, before I give out a final torts test review.

Soundtrack: “Who Let The Dogs Out?” by Baha Men. Selected because an easy example of strict liability is animals that are so dangerous that they injure others, without the owner having anything to do with it. In those sorts of cases, the owner is always liable for damages. Lyrics here.

AGENDA 10/29/13:
Tort Report
Blog Recap
Chapter 20 Review
Strict Liability: Chapter 21 (Not 21.4 or 21.6)

Homework: Study for upcoming unit final test! Turn in missing work. Read the blog! Next tort reports assigned to: Luke/Marsuk.

Tort Report: Jaxon brought in this article (which is over a decade old, but I guess I will take it, mostly because it is a ridiculous example of a lawsuit): TheSmokingGun.com - Another Ass Sues Viacom.

Bertina selected this article, which is directly related to a unit I did last year in Economics here: ChicagoTribune.com - Bank of America liable for Countrywide mortgages fraud.

Finally, Tommy chose this article about a lawsuit from July against Delta Air Lines: DailyMail.co.uk - Paralyzed man sues Delta Airlines claiming he was forced to crawl from plane while wearing his 'best suit'

Thank you, everyone! As always, I always like hearing about various different lawsuits and what your takes on them are.

Blog Recap: I showed the class the blog entry for last time, making sure to note that the PowerPoint could be downloaded for help in preparing for the upcoming test.

Chapter 20 Review: I gave everyone more time to try and finish up Chapter 20 in the textbook. If students were able to complete this before I went over it, I gave out a Chapter 19/20 worksheet and assigned Chapter 21 (except answers to 21.4 or 21.6).

I had fun going through the book answers with everyone here! Such great responses and questions. Hopefully, the concepts of the four elements of negligence are getting clearer: duty, breach, causation, and damages.

Strict Liability: Chapter 21: The rest of class (after the review time) was devoted to working on Chapter 21. If you were able to finish, congratulations! No more book work for me the rest of my time as your long term substitute. If not, I will give you more time to work at the start of next class.

Let me know if you have any questions in the comments or by email. See you on Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment